The Teaching Artist Residency is a program of intense teaching and cultural immersion.
Our carefully selected teaching artists are embedded into communities and classrooms in need. There they will make new friends, engage with the culture, and bring their own unique talents and skill sets to the classroom. Our teaching artists will lead courses in acting, directing, playwriting, and more.
Rich in young raw talent and overwhelming enthusiasm, but poor in resources, our partner communities and schools will welcome you with open arms. This program is a much needed aid and an incredible boost to our partner's efforts to provide a meaningful arts education. Each residency is an opportunity to grow as a teaching artist and make a lasting impact on the lives of young people -- and their futures as artists and community leaders!
THE GALÁPAGOS RESIDENCY
December 30, 2015 - January 19, 2016
This residency will send a team of teaching artists to reside in the least inhabited island of Ecuador's Galápagos archipelago, Floreana. There they will teach english and theatre with our partner school. Although these islands are heavily frequented by tourists and many dollars pour in to their preservation, very few funds are actually directed towards the islands' human inhabitants. Because of this, the infrastructure is weaker than you might expect and local schools offer very little in terms of an arts education. In fact, we have yet to come across a theatre group of any sort based in the Galápagos. With this residency, we will help fill that educational gap by providing two weeks of intense theatre and English training, voluntarily taught by qualified and highly creative theatre artists.
For more information about the Galápagos Residency and how you might get involved, click HERE.
CURRENTLY SEEKING TEACHING ARTISTS
- Preference will be given to those with experience teaching theatre. Experience teaching ESL is a plus.
- Preference will be given to those with experience teaching/ working in a culture other than their own.
- Must be ready and able to commit to the rigors of adventurous travel for the full duration of this program. Experience abroad is a plus.
- Must have a desire to improve one's foreign langague abilities. Language skills are a plus, but not required.
- Those who have worked with DAT in the past will have a leg up on the competition, however we are always looking to expand our network of traveling artists.